Shireoaks lies approximately two and a half miles from Worksop in the county of Nottinghamshire. It got its name from the legend that there was an oak tree or trees situated at the meeting place of the three Shires - Derbyshire, Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. It is said that the branches of one tree overhung all three counties. Due to the changes in boundaries the site of the original tree(s) is now entirely in Nottinghamshire.
The village grew as a result of the sinking of a mine in 1854. Houses were built to accommodate the workers by the Duke of Newcastle and amounted to 56 houses and 2 shops which still exist today. Each miner had his own pigsty. A well was sunk and each house had a tub in which to catch the rainwater which resulted in the Row becoming known as Tub Row. The pit closed on the 25th May 1991 and the shaft was capped in August 1992. The area has been redeveloped as a country park and a new industrial estate has been constructed bringing new employment to the area
The Chesterfield Canal runs through the village and was originally used for commercial traffic although nowadays is a popular tourist route for narrow boats The canal runs from Chesterfield to the River Trent at West Stockwith. The canal basin came about with the sinking of the pit and is now a marina.
In 1861 the foundation stone was laid for St Luke’s Church and it was dedicated in 1863. Due to the heavy involvement of the Duke of Newcastle in the construction of the church there are a number of memorials to him inside. The church still plays an important role in the village. The churchyard contains the grave of Joseph Tomlinson who is recorded as dying on the 30th February 1955, a date which does not exist. The village school, St Luke’s CE Primary was founded in 1864 and is a voluntary church aided primary catering for children aged between 5 and 11 years. A pre-school group called Little Acorns shares the site and Great Acorns after school group takes care of children after the normal school hours.